US Officials Cite Seismic Event as Evidence of Secret Chinese Nuclear Test
WASHINGTON: The United States has provided new details regarding an alleged secret nuclear test conducted by China in 2020, as US officials signal plans to resume nuclear testing in response to what they describe as “opaque” Chinese activity.
Speaking at an event hosted by the Hudson Institute, Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of Arms Control and Nonproliferation Christopher Yeaw confirmed that the 2020 test was “a singular explosion,” detected as a 2.75 magnitude seismic event on June 22 near China’s Lop Nur nuclear test site. Yeaw said he had personally examined the data and concurred with the US government’s assessment that the event was consistent with a nuclear explosive test of a certain yield.
Yeaw emphasized that the planned US tests would not involve atmospheric multi-megaton detonations like the 1952 Ivy Mike test, but would aim to match the level of Chinese nuclear activity on an “equal basis,” with specifics to be determined by President Donald Trump.
The remarks come after the expiration of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) on February 5, which had previously constrained US nuclear activity while leaving China unconstrained. US Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Thomas DiNanno previously stated in Geneva that China had failed to disclose the 2020 test.
Yeaw noted that available data could not provide an exact yield, but the test appeared supercritical. He also said China has shown “complete opacity” regarding its nuclear program and that US responses would follow the president’s directives.
The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization reported that its International Monitoring System did not detect any event consistent with a nuclear explosion on the date cited. Satellite analysis by the Center for Strategic and International Studies of the Lop Nur site was inconclusive in confirming or disproving the US allegations.
The Chinese Embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian last week criticized the US claims as “distorted” and an excuse to justify Washington’s return to nuclear testing.
US officials said they continue to pursue a trilateral nuclear arms control agreement including China and Russia. Yeaw noted that engaging China in such a deal will be challenging but remains a priority for the administration.
#China #UnitedStates #NuclearTest #LopNur #ArmsControl #NewSTART #Trump #diplomatsWorld #diplomatsworld
