International

UN Security Council Denounces Suicide Bombing at Islamabad Place of Worship

The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the suicide attack at an imambargah in Islamabad, describing it as “heinous and cowardly” and expressing shock over the deliberate targeting of civilians at a place of worship.

The attack took place on February 6 at Imambargah Qasr-i-Khadijatul Kubra on the outskirts of the city during Friday prayers.

At least 38 people were martyred and more than 150 others injured, according to officials, with many of the wounded shifted to nearby hospitals in critical condition.

In a statement, UNSC President James Kariuki said the council condemned the attack in the strongest terms, highlighting the senseless violence against worshippers and stressing the need for accountability.

The Security Council conveyed its deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims and to the government and people of Pakistan, and wished a speedy and full recovery to those injured.

Reaffirming its long-standing position, the UNSC said terrorism in all its forms and manifestations remains one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.

The statement said council members underscored the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of such acts accountable and to bring them to justice. It also urged all states to cooperate actively with Pakistan in line with international law and relevant Security Council resolutions.

Last week, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres also strongly condemned the attack. His spokesperson said attacks against civilians and places of worship are unacceptable and stressed that those responsible must be identified and brought to justice.

#UnitedNations #UNSC #IslamabadAttack #Terrorism #Pakistan #Security #diplomatsWorld #diplomatsworld

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *